I’ve been making this recipe for YEARS and it honestly is the most delicous way of getting even non-fish-fans eating fish! You only need a handful of ingredients and the prep is minimal, around 5 minutes then into the oven and you can relax whilst everything bakes – just rememer to pop some greens on to cook and a pouch of rice in the microwave and you are good to go, a deliciously healthy meal ready in minutes.
For heart health, and in order to get the omega 3 fatty acids that we require, we need to eat two portions of fish a week, one of which is oily, such as salmon or mackerel, sardines, pilchards or fresh tuna. And for healthy seafood, ASC is the trustworthy logo to look out for. This logo is found on fish which are farmed with care for the planet and the people.
Salmon raised in ASC farms have the room to move in fresh, clean waters, meaning it’s better for the health of the environment and better for the fish’s welfare. ASC meets the highest standards to protect and restore oceans, coasts and wildlife.
Look out for salmon with the blue logo with a white tick and outline of a fish, because it means the salmon has been raised in a responsible way – from the feed they eat to the welfare of the fish and the workers involved.
Do let me know over on Instagram if you see this logo on your salmon and if you give this recipe a go!
- 2 x salmon fillets – look for the ASC logo in Sainsbury’s* supermarkets to ensure ethical and sustainable fish (it’s blue with a white tick & outline of a fish, as shown below)
- Approx 6 heaped tbsp Greek yoghurt (I used 2%)
- 3 seeded rye crispbreads
- handful fresh chopped coriander
- black pepper & olive oil
- salad or green vegetables to serve (I used a medly of green beans, tenderstem broccoli & asparagus)
- sweet potato wedges or couscous to serve (I used a pouch of brown rice & quinoa!)
*“All Sainsbury’s Scottish salmon is sourced from dedicated farms around the west coast and isles of Scotland chosen for their ideal conditions. The farms use responsible management to protect and maintain the natural environment. The salmon are fed a bespoke diet designed to protect our natural resources from over fishing and guarantee great taste and nutritional benefit for you.”
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees C (fan)
- Add the rye crackers to a bowl along with the fresh coriander, a drizzle of olive oil & black pepper before crushing & mixing together. Set to one side.
- Spread the ASC approved salmon steaks with Greek yoghurt (mixed with the black pepper) and add the rye cracker mix to the top
- Bake the salmon uncovered for 15-20 minutes until cooked
- Serve with salad leaves or steamed green vegetables with cooked brown rice, couscous or sweet potato wedges and enjoy!
This blog post was written in collaboration with the ASC who originally posted this recipe.