Wine has been around since man commenced walking on earth. Some wines are known to date back to time immemorial. Wine as we know has continued to change and the process of brewing has improved. With better-brewed wines now, one would only expect the very best. Wine is used for tons of activities whether a cure to the ailing soul or a tool to celebrate a victory or an achievement. Wine, therefore, means different things to different people, to some it’s a symbol of honor, whilst to others it’s a tool for celebrating one’s achievement.
What type of wines is available in the market?
Wines can be classified according to how it is brewed. Some wines are alcoholic while others are not. Whether alcoholic wine or non-alcoholic, there are tons of them in the market. Wines are made from grapes, not the type of grapes found at the grocery store. There are lots of different wine grapes but some common choices include Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Zinfandel, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, Riesling, and a full range of others.
Where to get your brand of wine
The two major options for getting wine are from local stores and online stores. While you might have limited brands and supplies in your local store, you will be able to enjoy a wider range of options from online stores. However, when buying from local stores and especially online stores, it is important to read reviews to know about how reputable the brand of wine company or company selling the wine is. For example, if you want to patronize Vivino or WSJWine, you should read Vivino reviews and WSJWine reviews to know about their reputation before patronizing them.
Pros of wine consumption
Wine is one of the most popular drinks and there are immense wealth of health benefits that accrue to drinking wine.
- It reduces the risk of heart disease: Heart disease is a big killer all over the world, research has shown that one alcoholic drink a day can reduce the risk of heart disease by ¼.
- It reduces the signs of aging: Resveratrol, a compound found in grape is known to slow the aging process, particularly when it comes to the skin.
- Longer lifespan: Research has shown that people who engage in one cup of wine daily live longer than their sober peers.
- Improved brain function: A study of Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment shows that people who are moderate drinkers are less likely to experience a symptom of dementia or Alzheimer’s.
- Natural sunscreen: The resveratrol found in wine is a skin protectant due to a series of compounds called Flavonoids.
Cons of wine consumption
- Drinking derails one’s diet: Alcohol in wine changes how metabolism works forcing the body to deal with it first before it processes any protein, carbohydrate, or other nutrients.
- Alcohol stresses out: Alcohol decreases the body’s levels of cortisol, as well as increase the tendency to focus on negative thoughts, which could lead to stress.
- Ruins sleep: Alcohol disrupts one’s REM sleep phase which is the most important phase for physical and mental wellbeing.
- Ups the risk of cancer: Alcohol ups the risk of cancer, particularly breast and lung cancer.
- Exacerbate existing conditions: Alcohol triggers people already having a history of migraine, depression, ADD, or related conditions to make them worse.