The eye-related issues can be bothersome, and after reaching a certain age, individuals can opt and become aware of techniques to improve their eyesight. To know the suitable option, one should visit the best eye specialist in Lahore.
What is Femto-LASIK?
Femto-LASIK is an eye surgery method employed for reshaping the cornea. The surgery aims to improve vision. The technique involves using a blade or laser to create a flap, and then the cornea is modified. The healing of the cornea takes place on its own, in days.
What is the main procedure for Femto-LASIK?
The Femto-LASIK procedure involves:
- The patient is given drops for numbing, so he doesn’t feel any pain during the process.
- Femto-laser is used to cut a flap in the epithelium. It allows to move the flap and reshape other layers.
- Next, the excimer laser is used to fix any minor issues related to the eye curvature.
- After the process, the flap attached to the epithelium is placed back to the original position.
- A follow-up appointment has to be scheduled to ensure there are no complications.
What factors influence the decision?
The person must be above 18 for the surgery.
- The individuals taking any medications related to hormones that correlate to instability in the vision are not permitted to go for the surgery.
- The individuals using any medication that may affect the healing process; are not approved to go for the surgery.
- The thin cornea can lead to blindness; thus, it is a risk, and one should be well aware.
- Patients with a history of refractory surgeries may have complications; therefore, they should not consider Femto-LASIK.
What medical conditions stand a barrier for a person to consider Femto-LASIK?
It is essential to talk to the eye specialist regarding other medical conditions. People with medical conditions such as iritis, keratoconus, uveitis, herpes zoster, herpes simplex, dry eyes, and blepharitis cannot have Femto-LASIK.
How is the patient prepared, and what are the step involved?
The steps involve:
- Preparing the patient involves a complete checkup before the surgery.
- The patient will sit on a reclining chair near the laser system.
- The patient will get numbing drops to avoid pain.
- An eye speculum will be placed to open the eyelids.
- The procedure will start that includes the use of UV rays to reshape the cornea.
- The patient will be aware of the surroundings and may smell something burning.
- The procedure will take approximately 30 minutes.
What complications can occur due to Femto-LASIK?
The complication includes:
- The opaque bubble layer (OBL) is a complication in which bubbles form and cause problems for the laser to work.
- Transient light sensitivity Syndrome arises after weeks of surgery that result in extreme sensitivity to light.
- Rainbow glare is another complication that happens during the surgery. It results in colored bands and distorts the vision.
What is the guideline for the recovery timespan?
The person can feel itching, watering of eyes, distorted vision, and sensitivity to light right after the surgery. It is significant to follow some guidelines to ensure healing without any complications. The guidelines include:
- No rubbing of eyes
- Use of eye drops regularly
- No use of makeup, lotion, and other skin-related creams.
- Avoid contact with water
- Avoid sports-related activities for the first four weeks.
- Stay in contact with the doctor
People looking for options that can help them get rid of glasses should contact the best eye specialist in Karachi for guidance.