What’s the most important component of a nutritious diet? Yes, you guessed it right — fruits and vegetables. You must have heard this several times, and even seen various studies related to it.
But the big question is: what is the quantity of fruits and vegetables you must eat every single day?
Well, a new research published recently by the American Heart Association in its journal Circulation has revealed it all. They recommend people to consume five servings of fruits and veggies daily, in the form of two fruits and three vegetables, so that you can enjoy its health benefits.
Here’s what fruits and veggies can do your mind and body
Research also found that eating fruits and vegetables, in particular, greatly supports heart and mental health. To clarify this, researchers used data from a total of 28 global studies, including two major data sets from the US. This includes more than 100,000 adults each, and both sets have up to 30 years of follow-up with participants.
The research concluded that consumption of five servings of fruits and vegetables a day can help you live a long life.
In fact, a study by Imperial College of London also supports the five-servings-a-day rule. It goes on to suggest some specific foods such as apples, pears, citrus fruits, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower for wholesome nutrition.
Here are some other benefits of eating five portions of fruits and veggies
- The most important thing is that fruits and vegetables are a primary source of vitamin minerals, antioxidants, and fiber, which have countless beneficial causes related to health.
- Consuming fruits and vegetables can help you maintain a healthy weight, and help to reduce the risk of many chronic conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, stroke, diabetes, cancer, and heart diseases.
- Fruits and vegetables are low in fat, salt, and sugar as well.
- They are also a good source of dietary fibers, which can boost gut health.
- The different textures, types, and taste of fruits and vegetables can help strike a balance between health and taste.
You need to consume at least three vegetables and two fruits every day to get its health benefits. Make sure to eat a variety of veggies and fruits, and you’ll see a difference.
- Consumption of vegetables should be about one cup of raw salad vegetables or ½ cup of cooked veggies.
- Consumption of fruits should be about two small pieces of fresh fruits and 1 cup of canned fruits (avoid sugar, please).
Try to include as many fruits and veggies to your diet, and move a step closer to good health.